NOTICE: THIS PROGRAM IS CURRENTLY FULL, HOWEVER, WE ARE KEEPING A WAITING LIST. PLEASE CONTACT MS. COOMER AT COOM1286@HOTMAIL.COM TO BE ADDED TO THE LIST.
Now in its ninth year, Clearwater Writers is a series of writing programs hosted by Reflections Inn, a quiet, rural travel lodge situated in North Central Idaho on the wild and scenic Clearwater River.
This year is a transformational year for Reflections. Long-time owners and writing advocates Ruth and Jim May decided to retire after 26 years of creating and running this terrific place. We miss them so much, but are happy for them in their new adventures.
In the meantime, we are pleased to introduce new owners Arlene and Chris Yamamoto and their wonderful innkeeper and general manager Jeff and are equally happy that they will continue to support our Clearwater Writers retreat program.
Newness and transformation are words we should all have in mind for 2022. It’s time we dust loose the cobwebs and step out into the light of day and figure out how we are going to function in a brave new world.
To further pay homage to this notion, we are again offering our Fall Residency program, which was brand new for 2021 and was deemed a complete success. Arriving at the Inn with 10 days stretched in front of us gave us time to completely relax before heading into our work. We had long afternoons to engage in generative workshop sessions. The level of productivity was impressive. So much so that we decided to offer the entire thing again!
For 2022, however, we are doing something completely different by adding yoga instruction to our mix of class offerings. We are happy to introduce instructor (and writer) Leslie Jo Sena. Leslie comes to us from Palouse, Washington. She has been studying yoga for ten years, and she teaches a wonderful style of yoga known as slow-flow, which will be beneficial to our creative process and help balance out all those hours in the writing chair.
ABOUT CLEARWATER WRITERS: First, we acknowledge that the site we have chosen as host for our programs sits on the traditional lands of the Nimiipuu. We hope to honor their history by fostering a sense of peace and serenity in our community of writers and to carry the message of peace home with us. Our program was established to provide time and space away from the usual concerns to focus on furthering projects in an inspiring setting. We are dedicated to the notion that we as humans are creative beings and, as such, need significant breaks from technology and from our fast-paced lives into order to be our best selves, to do our best work, and to better serve our communities.
Programs are facilitated and directed by the Inn’s writer-in-residence, Paula Coomer, poet and author of eight books of poetry and prose including Somebody Should Have Scolded the Girl, Jagged Edge of the Sky, Dove Creek, Nurses Who Love English, and Blue Moon Vegetarian. Ms Ms. Coomer’s writing has been nominated for the Pulitzer, the Pushcart, and other national awards. Her work has been recommended by Buzzfeed. With 25 years of experience as a teacher of creative writing at the university and community level, Ms. Coomer is a regular speaker at regional conferences and offers creative inspiration and support for all writers, regardless of achievement, genre of focus, or ability.
Features of the 2022 FALL RESIDENCY
- 10 nights in a scenic wilderness setting along the wild Clearwater River in Idaho’s Rocky Mountain foothills
- Beautiful, serene, private accommodations
- Near the confluence of 3 federally-designated Wild and Scenic rivers. Lots of unprecedented scenery to inspire your writing, plus the occasional wolf howl!
- A maximum of 6 other writers
- Feedback on up to 20 double-spaced pages of writing (find specific formatting requirements here)
- Daily afternoon generative writing sessions
- Daily yoga/meditation sessions
- Individual consults with Ms. Coomer
- Deeply discounted room rates (see below)
- We do not offer the Wifi password unless you ask for it, so those who prefer may remain off-grid.
- No cell signal at the Inn, but Wifi calling is available–of course this means you’ll need to ask for the Wifi password! (The Inn’s business phone is for emergencies only.)
- Check-in is at 3 p.m. on the day of your arrival.
- Checkout is at 11 a.m. on the day of departure.
- We will be honoring CDC protocols for wearing masks and keeping social distance as necessary. We do prefer that attendees be vaccinated and boosted.
Meals and Transportation
- Attendees must bring their own meal preparations, or you may choose to check out eating/shopping establishments in the tiny town of Kooskia (Koos-kee), which is 10 miles to west of the Inn. Cooking, cold storage, and communal dining space is available to us in 2 well-equipped kitchens.
- Compact refrigerators in each room as well as coffee makers and microwaves
- For air transportation and car rental contact the Lewiston-Nez Perce County Regional Airport
Application for Clearwater Writers 2022 Fall Residency and Further Details
- To inquire further about the Residency, write to Ms. Coomer at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer, you may leave a message at 509-635-0444, and Ms. Coomer will get back to you.
- Otherwise, please indicate your interest by sending a writing sample and personal reference contact information to email@example.com.
- If you have been with us for a previous retreat, a writing sample and personal reference are not required; however, you will need to contact Ms. Coomer by email prior to contacting the Inn for reservations.
- A phone interview will also be required of first-time applicants.
- Cost for the Fall Residency is as follows.
- Room rate for one person for 10 nights is a $600 ($75+ per night off the regular rate) per night plus 8% tax.
- $324 is due at the time of registration.
- $324 is due by Oct. 1, 2022.
- The final payment of $300 is due upon arrival. Make checks to Paula Coomer. Scholarships and partial scholarships for this portion are available.
- Deadline for application is Sep. 1, 2022.
- Our programs fill up quickly, so please contact us as early as possible.
- No refunds/not transferable–we are not able to offer refunds for deposits.
- For maps and more about Reflections Inn, go to www.reflectionsinn.com
- To express interest in the 2022 Fall Residency, contact Ms. Coomer directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you’ve interacted with Ms. Coomer, to make reservations contact Jeff at the Inn at 208-926-0855.