Contrary to what many people may imagine, writing is not a solitary occupation. From the research stage to book promotion, authors are compelled to engage with other humans if they are to accomplish the goal of creative production. We may love our time in solitude best, but it’s other people who give purpose to our craft.
Each of us reaches a point where we must put a piece of writing in front of an audience. We may have our group of beta readers—those folks who know and love us and who are capable of gently telling us why our work is not quite ready for prime time.
But at some point we also find ourselves looking to mentors, those who can objectively point us toward a higher direction, who can help us take a much-reflected-on body of work from scraps and pieces to a vessel worthy of setting afloat in the world.
Poet and author Paula Marie Coomer has worked with a number of authors over the years on book-length projects, both fiction and non-fiction and in all genres, the majority of which have gone on to publication, some even to win prizes and awards. Her methods are at once challenging, humorous, serious, informative, nurturing, and spiritual. She is quite successful at probing deeply into a manuscript’s purpose and drive, helping to tease out of authors the finer threads of story, thereby enriching narrative, character and plot complexity, while magnifying the more successful and idiosyncratic characteristics of a writer’s abilities.
Ms. Coomer is available for Manuscript Consults only at Reflections Inn, a quiet, rural travel lodge situated in North Central Idaho on the wild and scenic Clearwater River. The setting is perfectly suited for writers whose projects could benefit from time spent away from the usual concerns to focus on moving toward completion, whether the goal is publication or simply to finish a project for the sake of satisfaction.
Features of the Manuscript Consult Retreat
- 4 nights in a scenic wilderness setting in Idaho’s Rocky Mountain foothills
- Beautiful, private, quiet accommodations
- Scheduled at your convenience
- Very low rate of $1200 (plus tax), which includes accommodations
- No other writers (although other inn guests may be present); Ms. Coomer is onsite, working directly and individually with author
- Feedback on a full-length manuscript of up to 250 double-spaced pages (find specific formatting requirements here)
- Optional follow-up manuscript review (add $300)
Meals and Transportation
- Writers bring their own meal preparations; cooking, cold storage, and communal dining space available in 2 fully-equipped, well-appointed kitchens
- Compact refrigerators in each room as well as coffee makers
- Food Service option ($120 additional fee applies) available upon request
- Transportation from the Lewiston, Idaho, airport available upon request
Arrange a Manuscript Consult
- To shedule a Manuscript Consult at Reflections Inn, call Ms. Coomer at 509-295-8860 or write to email@example.com
- Send 25-page (double-spaced) excerpt to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more about Reflections Inn, go to www.reflectionsinn.com
- Once you have spoken with Ms. Coomer, secure your dates and make full payment (50% deposit also an option) by calling Ruth May directly at the Inn at 208-926-0855.
- Deadline for full payment and registration is 2 months prior to the date scheduled
- Refunds are subject to 10% administrative fee and are pro-rated. No refunds 30 days prior to scheduled stay.