Contrary to what many people may imagine, writing is not a solitary occupation. From the research stage to book promotion, authors are compelled to engage with other humans if they are to accomplish the goal of creative production. We may love our time in solitude best, but it’s other people who give purpose to our craft.
Each of us reaches a point where we must put a piece of writing in front of an audience. We may have our group of beta readers—those folks who know and love us and who are capable of gently telling us why our work is not quite ready for prime time.
But at some point we also find ourselves looking to mentors, those who can objectively point us toward a higher direction, who can help us take a much-reflected-on body of work from scraps and pieces to a vessel worthy of setting afloat in the world.
Poet and author Paula Coomer has worked with many authors and poets over the years on book-length projects, a number of which have gone on to publication. Her methods are at once challenging, humorous, serious, informative, nurturing, and spiritual. She is particularly successful at teasing out the finer threads of a story and envisioning form.
Ms. Coomer is available for Private Manuscript Consults at Reflections Inn, a quiet, rural travel lodge situated in North Central Idaho on the wild and scenic Clearwater River. The setting is perfectly suited for writers whose projects could benefit from time spent away from the usual concerns to focus on moving toward completion, whether the goal is publication or simply to finish a project for the sake of satisfaction.
Features of the Manuscript Consult Retreat
- 4-5 nights (you choose) in a scenic wilderness setting in Idaho’s Rocky Mountain foothills
- Beautiful, private, quiet accommodations
- Scheduled at your convenience to meet on site with Ms. Coomer for a one-on-one discussion of your manuscript and assistance with beginning the revision process (our record is 90 pages of revision during a 5-night stay)
- No other writers (although other Inn guests may be present)
- Feedback on a full-length manuscript of up to 250 pages
- this amounts to 75,000 words
- must be printed using Times New Roman, 12 cpi
- must be double-spaced
- find specific formatting requirements here
- manuscript must be bound using coil or comb binding
- back-to-back printing preferred
- Ms. Coomer must receive manuscript no later than 1 month prior to arrival at the Inn
Meals and Transportation
- A FOOD SERVICE OPTION is available. Contact Ms. Coomer for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Writers are also free to bring their own meal preparations; cooking, cold storage, and communal dining space available in 2 fully-equipped, well-appointed kitchens
- Compact refrigerators are in each room as well as coffee makers and microwave ovens.
- Air and ground transportation is available at the Lewiston-Nez Perce County Regional Airport
Arrange a Manuscript Consult
- To schedule a Manuscript Consult at Reflections Inn or to inquire further, call Ms. Coomer at 509-635-0444 or write to email@example.com
- Once you’ve spoken with Ms. Coomer, you’ll be asked to send a 25-page (double-spaced; Times New Roman 12 cpi) excerpt of your manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more about Reflections Inn, go to www.reflectionsinn.com
MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT PAULA COOMER AT COOM1286@HOTMAIL.COM