“A ritual becomes the match that lights the kindred celebration candle of sacred moments.” –Wes Adamson
PLEASE NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS CHANGED FROM ITS ORIGINAL POSTING
Now entering its ninth year, Clearwater Writers is a writing program hosted by Reflections Inn, a quiet, rural travel lodge situated in North Central Idaho on the wild and scenic Clearwater River.
This year is a transformational year for Reflections. Long-time owners and writing advocates Ruth and Jim May decided to retire after 26 years of creating and running this terrific place. We miss them so much, but are happy for them in their new adventures.
In the meantime, we are pleased to introduce new owners Arlene and Chris Yamamoto and their wonderful innkeeper and general manager Jeff. We are equally happy that Paula Coomer will continue to serve as the Inn’s writer-in-residence and that Reflections Inn will continue support our Clearwater Writers’ programs.
Newness and transformation are words we should all have in mind for 2022. It’s time we dust loose the cobwebs and step out into the light of day and figure out how we are going to function in a brave new world.
All of which is to say that we, too, are about transformation. As you will see below, we are changing the format of our programs to more closely suit the times and the desires of our previous attendees.
ABOUT CLEARWATER WRITERS: Our program was established to provide time and space away from the usual concerns to focus on furthering projects in an inspiring setting. With new and established writers coming from all parts of the West, our retreats also have a reputation as “the answer” for anyone who is looking for guidance with a particular project.
Programs are facilitated and directed by the Inn’s writer-in-residence, Paula Coomer, poet and author of eight books of poetry and prose including Somebody Should Have Scolded the Girl, Jagged Edge of the Sky, Dove Creek, Nurses Who Love English, and Blue Moon Vegetarian. Ms. Coomer has been a nominee for the Pulitzer, the Pushcart, and her work has been recommended by Buzzfeed. With 25 years of experience as a teacher of creative writing at both the university and community level, Ms. Coomer offers creative inspiration and support for all writers, regardless of achievement, genre of focus, or ability.
Ms. Coomer is happy to consult with you about your writing during your time at Reflections Inn. Contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this.
Features of the 2022 Writing and Other Rituals Program
Apr. 28-May 2
- 2-4 nights in a scenic wilderness setting along the wild Clearwater River in Idaho’s Rocky Mountain foothills (you choose the number of nights, according to what suits your schedule)
- We are very near the confluence of 3 federally-designated Wild and Scenic rivers–with much beautiful landscape to inspire you. Feel free to tour the area, to participate in our generative writing sessions, or to spend your time in your room working on your writing project.
- Serene, updated, private accommodations
- A maximum of 6 other writers
- Daily afternoon generative writing sessions focused on various types of rituals, such as gathering familiars and celebrating the new moon.
- Very low rates (see below)
- No Wifi password unless you ask for it! It is possible to go off-grid!
- No cell signal–but Wifi calling is available–of course this means you’ll need to ask for the Wifi password! (The Inn’s business phone is available for emergencies.)
- Check-in is at 3 p.m. on your day of arrival.
- Checkout is at 11 a.m. on your day of departure.
- We will be honoring CDC protocols for wearing masks and keeping social distance as necessary. We do prefer that attendees be vaccinated and boosted.
Meals and Transportation
- Attendees should plan to bring their own meal preparations as the closest food is 10 miles away. Magic arises when humans come together in meal preparation. Cooking, cold storage, and communal dining space is available to us in 2 well-equipped kitchens.
- Compact refrigerators are in each room as well as coffee makers and microwaves.
- For air transportation and car rental contact the Lewiston-Nez Perce County Regional Airport
Application for Clearwater Writers 2022 Writing from Ritual Workshop and Further Details
- To inquire further, write to Ms. Coomer at email@example.com. If you prefer, you may leave a message at 509-635-0444, and Ms. Coomer will get back to you.
- Otherwise, please indicate your interest by sending a writing sample and a personal reference contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A phone interview will also be required of first-time applicants.
- If you have been with us for a previous Clearwater Writers program, a writing sample and reference are not required; however, you will need to contact Ms. Coomer by email prior to contacting the Inn for reservations.
- Cost for the Writing and Other Rituals Workshop is as follows.
- Room for one for two nights $180 plus 8% tax.
- Room for one for three nights $270 plus 8% tax.
- Room for one for four nights $360 plus 8% tax.
- Call Jeff at 1-208-926-0855 to make your reservation.
- A final payment of $250 is due upon arrival. Make checks payable to Paula Coomer. Scholarships and partial scholarships for this portion are available.
- Ms. Coomer will be available for consultation and will provide feedback on up to 20 pages of writing (double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 cpi)
- Deadline for application with full room payment is Apr. 14, 2022.
- Our programs fill up quickly, so please contact us as early as possible.
- No refunds/not transferable–we are not able to offer refunds for this program.
- For maps and more about Reflections Inn, go to www.reflectionsinn.com
- To express interest in the 2022 Writing and Other Rituals Workshop, contact Ms. Coomer directly at email@example.com.
- Once you’ve interacted with Ms. Coomer, to make reservations contact Jeff at the Inn at 208-926-0855.