Now entering its ninth year, Clearwater Writers is a writing retreat series hosted by Reflections Inn, a quiet, rural travel lodge situated in North Central Idaho on the wild and scenic Clearwater River.
This year is a transformational year for Reflections. Long-time owners and writing advocates Ruth and Jim May decided to retire after 26 years of creating and running this terrific place. We miss them so much, but are happy for them in their new adventures.
In the meantime, we are pleased to introduce new owners Arlene and Chris Yamamoto and their wonderful innkeeper and general manager Jeff and are equally happy that they will continue to support our Clearwater Writers retreat program.
Newness and transformation are words we should all have in mind for 2022. It’s time we dust loose the cobwebs and step out into the light of day and figure out how we are going to function in a brave new world.
While much is changing at Reflections Inn, the one thing that has not changed is our Spring Retreat! This is our oldest continuous program and a popular one.
ABOUT CLEARWATER WRITERS: Our program was established to provide time and space away from the usual concerns to focus on furthering projects in an inspiring setting. We are dedicated to the notion that we as writers need significant breaks from technology and from our fast-paced lives into order to do our best work. With new and established writers coming from all parts of the West, our retreats also have a reputation as “the answer” for anyone who is looking for guidance with a particular project.
Programs are facilitated and directed by the Inn’s writer-in-residence, Paula Coomer, poet and author of eight books of poetry and prose including Somebody Should Have Scolded the Girl, Jagged Edge of the Sky, Dove Creek, Nurses Who Love English, and Blue Moon Vegetarian. With 25 years of experience as a teacher of creative writing at both the university and community level, Ms. Coomer offers creative inspiration and support for all writers, regardless of achievement, genre of focus, or ability.
Features of the 2022 Spring Retreat
- 4 nights in a scenic wilderness setting along the Clearwater River in Idaho’s Rocky Mountain foothills
- Beautiful, serene, private accommodations
- A maximum of 6 other writers
- Very low rates (see below)
- Feedback on up to 10 double-spaced pages of writing (find specific formatting requirements here)
- We ask that attendees remain on-campus for the duration of the retreat.
- We do not offer the Wifi password so that if at all possible we can remain off-grid.
- There is no cell signal, but Wifi calling is available–of course this means you’ll need to ask for the Wifi password! (The Inn’s business phone is for emergencies only.)
- Check-in is at 3 p.m. on Mar. 3. (No early arrivals, please.)
- Checkout is at 11 a.m. on Mar. 7. (No late checkouts, please.)
- We will be honoring CDC protocols for wearing masks and keeping social distance as necessary. We do prefer that attendees be vaccinated and boosted.
Meals and Transportation
- FOOD OPTION: Reflections Inn now has a food option! A local chef is offering her fresh-made frozen entrees and other fresh foods for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus snack options. An additional fee applies. For more about this, please email email@example.com.
- As we have done in the past, attendees may choose to bring their own meal preparations. Cooking, cold storage, and communal dining space is available to us in 2 well-equipped kitchens.
- Compact refrigerators in each room as well as coffee makers and microwaves
- For air transportation and car rental contact the Lewiston-Nez Perce County Regional Airport
Application for Clearwater Writers 2022 Spring Retreat and Further Details
- To inquire further about the Spring Retreat, write to Ms. Coomer at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you prefer, you may leave a message at 509-635-0444, and Ms. Coomer will get back to you.
- Otherwise, please indicate your interest by sending a writing sample and a personal reference contact information to email@example.com.
- If you have been with us for a previous retreat, a writing sample and reference are not required; however, you will need to contact Ms. Coomer by email prior to contacting the Inn for reservations.
- A phone interview will also be required of first-time applicants.
- Cost for the Spring Retreat is as follows.
- Room rate is a $85 ($50+ off the regular rate) per night plus 8% tax for a total of $367.20.
- $200 is due at the time of registration.
- $167.20 is due by Feb. 1, 2022.
- A facilitator’s honorarium of $100 is due upon arrival. Scholarships for this portion are available.
- Deadline for application is Feb. 1, 2022.
- Our retreats fill up quickly, so please contact us as early as possible.
- No refunds/not transferable–we are not able to offer refunds for deposits.
- For maps and more about Reflections Inn, go to www.reflectionsinn.com
- To express interest in the 2022 Spring Retreat, contact Ms. Coomer directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once you’ve interacted with Ms. Coomer, to make reservations contact Jeff at the Inn at 208-926-0855.